Monday 1 August 2011

Looking Back : July 2011

I read 11 books this July:
-
1. The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
2. Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
3. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs
4. Whisper by Phoebe Kitanidis
5. Middlemarch by George Eliot
6. The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
7. Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling
8. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
9. Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
10. Angel by L. A. Weatherly
11. What Happened To Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
-
------------
-
This July has been a great month! Firstly I went and watched the conclusion to the Harry Potter film series and it was everything I hoped it would be and more. I just can't believe it's finished now :( Secondly I finally graduated from university with a degree in Chemistry with Forensic Analysis. It was a long and hard five years but I learnt so much; not just academically but about myself and what's important to me.
-
Now on to the books! I finally finished Middlemarch and I really liked it and it was worth the 1000+ pages. I also surprisingly liked reading Slaughterhouse 5 and Fight Club. After coming back from the cinema I just knew I had to reread the series and Philosopher's Stone was just as good as when I first read it over ten years ago. The Name of the Wind was a fantastic read and I can't believe I've had it on my shelf for years unread. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy Starcrossed or Whisper. I really wanted to because they had such great premises but you can't win them all. Miss Peregrine's was a fantastically creepy read but it ended on such a cliffhanger, so I can't wait for the sequel. Along for the Ride and The Summer I Turned Pretty were great beach reads and highly enjoyable and both invoked nostalgic memories. Finally, Angel was a great addition to the trend of angels in YA fiction. I really starting to like angels as much as werewolves!
-
Thirdly, the blog I've been enjoying the most this month is Musings of A Bookshop Girl. She had a fantastic theme this month called 'Page to Screen'. I really enjoyed reading all the posts and it gave me many new books and films to look out for. So, overall a fantastic month :)

2 comments:

Danielle Zappavigna said...

Congrats on your graduation! Great list of books with lots of variety in genre. I bought a copy of Fight Club from the book depository the other month but accidentally bought a german version - whoops! I was so annoyed at myself I'm dying to read it :-)

Hannah @ Dragons and Whimsy said...

Hey thanks for entering my giveaway! Thought I'd pop by the blogs I hadn't heard of and subscribe to a few and I see you have a very similar reading taste to me! I adore Patrick Rothfuss and you're definitely in for a treat with Wise Man's Fear when you get around to that :)

Once Upon A Time