Saturday 13 November 2010

The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow By Washington Irving

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a chilling tale of romantic rivalry and supernatural terror. The story begins with Ichabod Crane becoming the new schoolmaster of Sleepy Hollow. Ichabod comes to the idea of marrying the wealthy Katrina Van Tassel.
-
This book is the rare occasion where I actually prefer the film to the novel. Having watched the film years ago and loved it this may be the reason I didn't connect to the book or enjoy it. Don't get me wrong it was still okay but I didn't think it was anything special. There is in fact not much resemblance between the movie and the book except for there being a headless horseman and many of the characters names.
-
It was a very short story at less than one hundred pages. I felt that we didn't get to know the characters at all. In the book, Ichabod Crane is actually a school teacher and doesn't come across at all likeable. I felt that the main plot of the story was Ichabod Crane's rivalry with Brom because they were both vying for the affections of Katrina Van Tassel. So in a way I think the book is misrepresented. I settled down on Halloween to read this expecting to be slightly scared with a chill down my spine, whereas I got a slightly dull story about a man infactuated with one of his elder students and then gets run out of town by a headless horseman who may or may not be real.
-
I did like Irving's Autumn atmosphere though. He did capture the essence of the season well. Also, the part where Ichabod Crane is chased out of the village is quite exciting, so that you feel as if you are watching it. So, overall a good quick read, but not at all scary.
-
-
Random Passage: From the listless response of the place, and the peculiar character of it inhabitants, who are descendants from the original Dutch settlers, this sequestered glen has long been known by the name of SLEEPY HOLLOW, and its rustic lads are called Sleepy Hollow Boys throughout all the neighbouring country. A drowsy, dreamy influence seems to hang over the land, and to pervade the very atmosphere.

No comments: