Sunday 19 February 2012

Looking Back : January 2012

I read eight books in January:
-
1. Matched by Ally Condie
2. 11.22.63 by Stephen King
3. The Vampire Stalker by Allison Van Diepen
4. A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
5. To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
6. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
7. A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard
8. Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler
-
-----------
-
My favourite read of January was 11.22.63 by Stephen King. It was an amazing read that immerses you in the 1950s and 60s of America. It mixes time-travel, horror, nostalgia and the unease of deja vu. It was closely followed by Bittersweet and Poison Study. Bittersweet was a top star read which was not surprising since I now expect nothing less from the fabulously talented Sarah Ockler. I had heard a lot about the work of Maria V. Snyder and I had had the Poison Study trilogy unread on my shelves for ages and I'm so glad I've finally got around to starting them because Poison Study was brilliant and I can see why Snyder's fans rave about it.
-
Matched was a surprisingly good read too. I had previously read Delirium by Lauren Oliver and had constantly heard it compared to Matched and whilst I thought Delirium was an okay read I didn't think it lived up to the hype so I was initially skeptical about reading Matched. I'm glad I did though because in my opinion it surpassed Delirium and I can't wait to read the sequel (Crossed). Both A Small Free Kiss in the Dark and The Vampire Stalker were quick and good reads, the latter being quite light and the first with a vein of sorrow and depth running through it.
-
A Study in Scarlet was my first literary introduction to Sherlock Holmes and I found him to be and ingenious character. Whilst I thought the plot to be a bit ramshackle at times (especially the crazy Mormon tangent in the middle), I am intrigued to read more of Holmes. To The Lighthouse was an okay read. I think I read it at the wrong time of year and would be better suited to a long lazy summer day on the beach. The plot is almost non-existent but the characters philosophical musings do draw you in.
-
So overall a successful reading month and I only wish I could keep up to date with my blog as well :)

No comments: